Friday, January 18, 2013

What's in a name?

I thought I would take a minute to tell you how Nolan got his name.

Girls... no problem! Shawn and I have two girls names picked out easily and love them. Boys... different story. So when we found out we were having a boy, the search began. All of sudden a lot of names I had liked before now seemed not so great after all. I pulled out the baby name book and began my search.

Shawn's family has an Irish heritage, which Shawn is very proud of. So I began to look at Irish names. When I came across Nolan, meaning brave and noble, I really liked the way it sounded. The more I said it to myself and my belly, the more it just seemed right. Shawn agreed, and so Nolan was named!

The middle name was much harder. I really wanted something that had meaning and a story to it. Shawn and I went back and forth, liking names the other didn't. We looked at Arabic names, since we moved to the UAE, but couldn't find one that fit. We looked at name meaning and cultures. We joked and played with so many names, it wasn't until about 36 weeks that it came to us.

Shawn's father is named John. Both of Shawn's grandfather's are named John. Shawn is a form of John and they all mean a gift from God/God is gracious. I really liked the idea of using a family name, but we didn't really like Nolan John and Shawn refused Nolan Shawn. Also, I wanted to include my family somehow. My mother is Italian, and so after looking at many variations of John we discovered the Italian form... Giovanni.

So Nolan Giovanni... a brave and noble Gift from God. Irish for Shawn's family, Italian for mine. Named after Shawn's family name ( a little bit of mine as well as my maiden name is Jones) and he truly is a miracle baby and Gift from God. God has been truly gracious!! 

 Nolan Giovanni Casey




No comments:

Post a Comment